Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The "New" Walmart Coupon Policy

Well the day has finally come! Walmart issued a corporate coupon policy last week, only to take it down and revamp it two days later because they didn't cover all their bases. I have to admit it's a step in the right direction for Walmart to issue a policy. I'm reluctant to cheer just yet because as you all know I really REALLY HATE Walmart! (If you work there I'm sorry! Glad you have a job, but I still hate Walmart!) I've highlighted some of the best things in the policy.


Here's the new policy:


Walmart accepts the following types of coupons (see guidelines below):
Manufacturers’ coupons
Print-at-home internet coupons
Must be legible, have “Manufacturer Coupon” printed on them, have a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and have a scannable bar code.
Competitors’ coupons that feature a specific item for a specified price
for example, $2.99
Soft drink container caps
Checkout coupons
(also called “Catalinas”) that are printed at our competitors’ registers, have “Manufacturer Coupon” with specific requirements printed on them, a valid remit address for the manufacturer, valid expiration date, and a scannable bar code.

Walmart does not accept the following coupons:
Print-at-home Internet coupons that require no purchase
Competitors’ coupons for dollars/cents or percentage off, buy one get one free, and double- or triple-value coupons

The following are guidelines and limitations:
Only one coupon per item is permitted.
Coupons must have an expiration date and be redeemed prior to expiration.
Coupons may exceed the price of the item. Change may be given or applied toward the cost of the basket purchase.
Walmart only accepts coupons for merchandise that we sell.
Coupons must be presented at the time of purchase.

We accept the following with Customer Service Supervisor/Management approval:
40 or more coupons
Any coupon over $20
$50 or more in coupons in one transaction

So what does all of this mean? Specifically, you can have overage and it will go towards the remainder of your total (YES! That's a good thing!) and they'll accept catalina coupons from stores like Walgreens, Winn Dixie and Target even though it may have another stores logo. The only bad thing is that that still will not accept Register Rewards (even though they fall into the the catalina category).
If you plan on heading to Walmart I have two suggestions 1) Call me so I can pray for you! 2) go here and print out the policy and take it with you. I can almost 100% guarantee that the cashiers and possibly managers too, will have no clue how to handle the new policy.
Remember if it doesn't work, DON'T GET MAD! Just put it down and walk away. Anger over not getting a great deal is not worth. Frustration yes, anger no. 

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update! I also dislike shopping at Walmart and try to avoid it like the plague!!! At least they are coming out of the dark ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's hilarious...."Call me so I can pray for you!" LOL ;)

    I am one of those rare people that actually do pretty good at WalMart. I am pretty particular about what coupons I do use when I go there. If a coupon even "smells" like trouble, I avoid buying that product there. I'll save it for a friendlier atmosphere like my local Walgreens! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GAR! I typed a comment, and then the next page said: Service unavailable

    Why? WHY? WHY?!

    I dislike WM and will rarely go there. They are so snippy and horrible about coupons. I want to say, "Hey, if I am here in the first place, I am probably looking for a deal, so you should anticipate that I might have coupons."

    However, I did get out of there one time with them giving me money. I said that it was like I got to shop for free at WM, AND they gave me gas money to go there and do it. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Walmart gives me the heebbie geebbies. It always seems so dirty to me! Glad they are taking competitor coupons though. I wonder if this applies to the Walk-mart Neighborhood Marts??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Walmart is the culprit for my homeschooled kids illnesses. We went one day last week to try out the new coupon policy...three days later we had strep throat!

    ReplyDelete