Here are just a few steps to get you started. For more in depth detail click on the How to Get Started tab at the top of the page or attend one of HOC's free classes(sign up here).
First things first:
- You CANNOT be brand loyal. When using coupons and to maximize savings you have to be willing to buy different brands because they are at the best price.
- Set a budget NOW! For the first month or two set your budget to what you normally spend. This will allow you to begin stockpiling. After you have built a small (1-2 month supply) of products you use regularly slowly start to cut your budget in $5-$10 increments. I would also suggest keeping this money in cash in an envelope system to help keep you accountable to stay within your budget.
- Buy ONLY what you need FIRST! Alway, Always, Always buy what your family needs right now FIRST before you even think about stockpiling. Start by compiling a list of what you need now(items you've run out of or are running low on), make a menu using products you have on hand and stretch it as far as you can go.Once you have your list of needs and your menu planned look at the grocery store sale ads from your paper or online and find the best deals on anything you need to complete your menu and fill your needs list.
- Stockpile AFTER your needs are fulfilled. After you have shopped for your needs take any money you have left over from your budget and stockpile on any products that are on sale at a good price. Only use what you have left from your budget! I would also suggest not spending every last penny of that budget money because it never fails that you've forgotten something that you need!
- You're budget will not but cut in half immediately and you won't be getting $1,000's of dollars worth of products for pennies the first time you shop, so don't get discouraged.
Tune in tomorrow for how to get those coupons and how to organize them.