Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Watergate Salad...This really needs a new name!

My dear sweet husband has a severe aversion to the term "salad" mostly due to several bad experiences during his childhood that involved potato salad and having to clear his plate. So now if anything says "salad" or might possibly have mayonnaise, cream cheese, sour cream, or mustard it's pretty much off limits. But a few months ago while we went to visit his Grandmother Joyce she was excited to tell him she had made his favorite salad! Watergate salad held a special place on the table that night!

Now I remember my Mammaw making Watergate salad and other congealed concoctions that were used to trick children into eating vegetables disguised as dessert. I always made sure to steer clear of those dishes! But as an adult I'm trying to branch out and set good examples for my girls and try things that I normally do not eat. For that particular night it was Watergate Salad! And it was good!!!!!

Since coming back from our visit to Yazoo City, I've made Watergate Salad almost once a week! It's sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth with few calories, which is a good thing in our quest to eat healthier! Our 7 year old has taken to calling it "Green Stuff"....not much better than salad in my opinion!


Watergate Salad

1 box instant Pistachio pudding mix
1 container of Cool Whip (I use lite or sugar free)
1/2 bag fruit flavored marshmallows
1 large can crushed pineapple

Mix pineapple and pudding mix first. Stir in cool whip and marshmallows. Store in airtight container. We eat it immediately, but the original recipe says to refrigerate first.

No comments:

Post a Comment