Thursday, January 20, 2011

Homemade Peanut Butter

So I have a list of twelve things to do in 2011. Number one on that list...make homemade peanut butter! If it wasn't for peanut butter and bananas my two girls might never eat again! There's a strict rule in our house, JIF and only JIF grace our cabinets. Lets see if I can change that. 


I grabbed a 1 1/2 lb. bag of  dry roasted peanuts from Target  last night for under $2! Shelled and removed the skin and dropped them in a bowl. Now I only did about a cup just to try it tonight. Dropped them all in my food processor and hit the button. It takes about 5 minutes for the peanuts to start releasing their oil to make it creamy. The longer you blend the creamier it gets. Can you say YUM!?! Molly was dancing around the kitchen waiting to taste it. 




I added about 1/2 tsp. of honey just for a little sweetness. The one cup of peanuts made about a 1/2 cup of peanut butter. Perfect for lunch tomorrow! Wish I would have realized this was so easy! I would have made it sooner! Plus I know everything that's in it! No artificial anything, no preservatives (which reminds me store the fresh stuff in the fridge in an airtight container) or anything else. Wait it gets better! It's CHEAP! Not to mention it was fun. Molly had a great time cracking the peanuts with me. 


So ya'll grab some bread and whip you up a pb&j, pb & banana or a fluffernutter! 


No comments:

Post a Comment